What a beautiful day it turned out to be here in Western PA. The temperature rose to a perfect 73 degrees (22 degrees Celsius) and I'm here at the library sitting with jeans and a. . . gasp. . . T-Shirt on! Who'd have thunk it?! Because the usual array of snow, ice, and slush is out of the way (for now), there are children playing outside, people are walking their dogs, and couples are out strolling about the town. The humans have come out of their caves! The Sun is shining and my spirit feels energized!
So yesterday was eventful because I visited the local supermarket (Safrans) and picked up a bunch of food, which came to $53.00 (my highest grocery expense to date). 53 dollars is fucking expensive, man! I'm trying to eat as healthy as I possibly can, but unfortunately, Safran's does not sell much organic food so I'm stuck with consuming food produced by the aggro-industrial mega-whores for now. This simultaneously stimulates my incentive to grow my own food; which I'm in the process of begining. I plan on growing some cucumbers, tomatoes, tangerines, herbs, and various other greens which will most likely take place when summer rolls around.
The reason I say "stuck" is because as of today, I have no viable means of transporting myself and the food to and from the desired location. This is soon to change, though! My bike is finished with its repairs (I regret not fixing the thing myself), so I should have it soon! Hopefully I'll be able to find some decent organic stores nearby once that's all taken care of.
Kind of strange that the majority of western society is completely disconnected from its food sources. This is probably a good thing, though; considering the fact that if we actually saw HOW our "food" is created and manufactured, the majority of people would be horrified. Then again, this infortmation is already out there - people simply don't care.
While I'm on the subject of food, I'd like to direct you to an article by a guy named Michael Pollan, who begins the essay with the header, "Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants." Very intellegent guy who speaks very conciously about health, the way humans interact with their environment, and. . . well. . . plants! I'll leave it at that, check it out!
Wednesday, February 11, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment